Ebola Outbreak in DRC Expands to 54 Health Zones, Death Toll Reaches 2,186

0

The Bundibugyo virus disease outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has expanded to 54 health zones across six provinces, with 4,686 confirmed cases and 2,186 deaths reported as of Aug. 12, according to the World Health Organization.

The outbreak, described by WHO as the largest Ebola outbreak ever documented in the country, has spread across Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, Haut-Uélé, Tshopo and Bas-Uélé provinces. The overall case-fatality rate stands at 46.8%.

During the week of Aug. 3-9, health authorities reported 579 new cases and 304 deaths, the highest weekly totals recorded since the outbreak began.

Ituri remains the hardest-hit province, accounting for 3,979 of the 4,665 confirmed cases reported in Congo and 1,726 of the 2,184 deaths recorded in the country as of Aug. 12. The most recent province to report a case was Bas-Uélé, where a confirmed case was identified in Buta health zone in a person with a travel history to Haut-Uélé.

WHO said the outbreak is being fueled by insecurity, population displacement, mobility and cross-border movements, while attacks on health facilities have disrupted surveillance and response operations.

At least 155 health workers have been infected since the beginning of the outbreak, including 45 deaths and 68 recoveries, highlighting continued occupational risks and challenges in maintaining infection-prevention measures.

The outbreak has also affected neighboring Uganda and previously involved an imported case in France. Uganda recorded 20 confirmed cases, while one case was reported in France. WHO said France has recorded no secondary transmission following the imported case, while Uganda remains at risk of reintroduction because of continued transmission in neighboring Congo.

WHO said the risk of BVD remains very high in Congo and high in Uganda and countries sharing land borders with affected areas. The risk for the rest of Africa and globally is currently assessed as low.

Health authorities and partners are scaling up surveillance, laboratory testing, infection prevention and control, treatment capacity, contact tracing and community engagement. WHO also said work is underway to expand treatment centers and train health workers.

Unlike some other Ebola virus diseases, there are currently no approved vaccines or specific treatments for Bundibugyo virus disease. WHO said a clinical trial investigating potential treatments began enrolling patients in July, while a separate trial is being prepared to assess a candidate Ebola vaccine.

WHO continues to advise against restrictions on travel or trade with affected countries, while urging stronger cross-border cooperation, surveillance and preparedness.

The WHO Emergency Committee is scheduled to meet Aug. 18 to review the evolving Ebola outbreak and consider an updated risk assessment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *