South Sudan Records More Than 16,000 New Displacements in July, IOM Says

0

Credit: IOM

More than 16,000 people were displaced across South Sudan in July as conflict, insecurity and drought continued to drive population movements, according to the International Organization for Migration’s latest displacement tracking report.

IOM’s Displacement Tracking Matrix recorded 16,282 displaced people from 3,115 households during the reporting period from July 1 to 31. Women accounted for 9,242 of those displaced, while 7,040 were men.

The largest displacement was recorded in Kajo-Keji County, where 9,158 people from 1,811 households were displaced following clashes between the South Sudan People’s Defence Forces and the Uganda People’s Defence Forces along the border on July 14.

The displaced people came from Gorbeleng, Goloku, Mapu and Pure villages and moved to Logo, Kerwa and Mangalatore in Liwolo Payam. IOM identified food, shelter and health care as urgent needs.

In Jur River County, 3,434 people from 686 households were displaced by localized conflict in Marial Baai and Wau Baai payams. The displaced population moved to areas including Maluil, Kuom, Marial Ajieth and Aluel Wang, where conditions were considered relatively more stable. Food, shelter and health care were identified as the main priorities.

Meanwhile, prolonged drought in Torit County displaced 1,910 people from 320 households after crops including sorghum, finger millet, maize and sweet potatoes were destroyed, worsening food insecurity. The affected population moved to villages in and around Torit town.

Nyirol County recorded another 1,780 displaced people, bringing the total number of people covered by the report to 16,282.

The report also documented 12,469 returnees from 2,331 households during July, mainly from Ethiopia’s Gambella Region. Of the returnees, 6,879 were women and 5,590 were men.

Akobo County recorded the largest number of returns, with 11,355 people from 2,117 households returning from Gambella. IOM said many had previously fled conflict in Akobo but returned because of improved security conditions in their area of origin and deteriorating living conditions in their places of displacement.

Most returnees settled within host communities, including in partially damaged houses or makeshift shelters. Food, shelter and sanitation were identified as their main needs.

In Maiwut County, 1,036 people from 200 households returned to several villages after fleeing areas of Ethiopia’s Gambella Region. IOM attributed the movements largely to improved security and a decline in hostilities in Luakpiny/Nasir County.

Across the return movements, 90% of the recorded returnees came from Nuwer in Ethiopia, 8% from Etang Special and 2% from Agnewak.

IOM said South Sudan’s displacement crisis remains driven by multiple factors, including communal conflict, land disputes, insecurity, violence, disasters and the effects of the conflict in neighboring Sudan, which has increased cross-border movements and placed additional pressure on already limited resources.

The figures are based on IOM’s Event Tracking Tool, which collects rapid displacement data through assessments with key informants and other sources. IOM cautioned that the data reflects conditions at the time of assessment and does not guarantee comprehensive nationwide coverage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *